Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mixing business with personal life

Pharmaceutical Rep! What is the first thing that comes to mind? Good looking, very talkative, and out going.  For me it was Jake Gyllenhaal in “Love and Other Drugs.” He was super sexy in that movie, if you haven’t seen it yet I suggest you go see it! Well my little journey in life didn’t quite end up like Anne Hathaway….

A year ago I went to a crawfish broil with Joyanna, one of her co-workers was having it at his house and she invited me to tag along. On the way there she was telling me about one of their reps that might be there, apparently he was really close with some of her co-workers out side of work. She filled me in on him, like he just got out of a relationship; he was really tall, kind of funny. His name is Jagger Fox and that she would always refer to him as “F-O-X” from “You’ve got Mail.” I get there just kind of interested in what this kid looked like. We arrive and everyone is outside, I get introduced to everyone and finally get to the rep, he was a little intoxicated when we met, I thought he was good looking and oddly tall. We really didn’t talk but I did hear him say that he had been drinking since 11 am that morning. Explains the intoxication, we really didn’t talk that evening cause he left maybe 20 minutes after our meeting. I didn’t think anything of it, just a new person I was introduced to.

Fast forward to December of last year (2010), I got offered a job at the Doctor’s office with Joyanna. Well it’s been maybe 2 weeks since I’d been working there and Jagger aka F-O-X had been in maybe 4 times. The girls at work warned me about the other girls that use to work there and how they would always stop what they were doing to make sure they said hi to him or have him see them. I didn’t see what the big fuss was about, every time he came in if I was in the front and he said hi to me then I would say hi back. I didn’t know who this guy was and I really didn’t wanna seem so desperate, it just didn’t make sense for me to go out of my way to just say hi. It is now the week of Christmas, F-O-X comes in and I’m at the front going about my business and he leans over asking me how my day was going, what were my plans for Christmas. I do the small talk then my other co-worker Anthony wishes him an early birthday. I then say “oh when’s your birthday?” F-O-X says “in a few days” I’m thinking for a second…a few days is Christmas Eve. I then say “is your birthday Christmas Eve?” he gives me a look like I’m an idiot and just snaps his fingers and says “wow, very observant” and walks off. I was stunned like did that just happen, I was at a loss for words. Now it’s the week of New Year’s Eve, he comes in and we do small again and I say “oh happy belated birthday…which ever day it was” and he chuckles and says “you guessed right” and I said “oh well I thought you were just being rude” then he asks what my plans were for New Year’s. I tell him I was debating on going to Austin or just staying here…he then says “you should just stay here, maybe just keep it chill and low key” well the phone rang and I was the only one up front so I had to get it and he was standing around and when I finally hung up he started to ask me something but a patient walked in and he started to blush then he just said bye and walked off. Again I didn’t know what to think because he was so quick to walk off for the second time.

Its 2011….out with the old and in with the new!! Its maybe 2 weeks into the New Year and the more he comes in he starting to grow on me, keep in mind I’m still not going out of my way to say hi to him but if I do see him then we would chat for about 5-10 minutes. One day, one of the PA’s came up to me while I was on the phone and wrote on a post it note that read: “are you single?” This caught my attention and I twirled in my chair to face her and I shook my head nodding yes and mouth to her “why” she began to write F-O-X on the post it and I hung up the phone. I was really interested to see what she had to say, she basically said that F-O-X ask what my story was and she told him that she thought I was single and really “cute”. He then informed her that he was going to ask me out on a date. This was already beginning to get a little awkward because I’m still the new person and I know this is a conflict of interest and I just didn’t know how I really felt about the whole thing. Word got around the office that he was going to ask me out and I thought for sure he would probably back out because he knew I knew he was going to do it and apparently he wanted it to be a surprise but it wasn’t. When he finally came in not gonna lie, it was really uncomfortable; my palms started to sweat, I’m sure my face was turning red and everyone was just “hanging out” at the front desk. Awkward!! After he does what he needs to do in the back he leans over my desk and asks me what I was doing that weekend, I said nothing yet and then he said “how about you and I go grab dinner and maybe hangout afterwards?” I hesitate for a minute just because I didn’t want to regret my decision, after fighting with my thoughts I gave in and say “sure, I’d like that” he then asks if I like sushi, I say yes and then he got my number and told me that he would be in touch. He sends me text the morning of our date to have a good day, the normal then lets me know that he’s coming in that afternoon to discuss more details. He comes in and asks what time I get off work (5) and asks if I could be ready by 6:30 because we have to be somewhere by 8. I was thinking…what the heck... I still need to shower again, blow dry my hair and put my make up on…..I said yes I could be ready then he leaves and sends me text asking for my address. I give it to him and ask what we were doing and he then says “it’s a surprise…if you don’t fun then you can kick me in the twig and berries!” hahaaha I was shocked by that responses but just said “I’m sure I’ll have fun”

He picks me up and when I get to door the dogs are going ballistic, barking up a storm and bouncing around like jumping beans. At first he looks stunned, he greeted me with a  hug and he said “wow, you look really nice” keep in mind I wear scrubs to work everyday and my hair is either in a pony tail with a headband to try to accessorize, or just really straight. That night I was in a grey shirt that hung off of my shoulder and was semi- see through along with a black under shirt and my dark skinny jeans; hair was fully blow dried with a lot of volume and I got to take time applying my make up. Just a little something that would be fitting for a first date; just as gentleman he opened the door for me as I got into his car. We are on our way to the destination and we get to taking about how many siblings we have, how long have I been at the new job, and just our likes and dislike in people in general. We get to the first place and it was Kobe Steakhouse, there was a wait so we made our way to the bar. Once there we go into more depth just trying to get to know one another then I brought up the whole work thing. I explained to him that I really didn’t want anyone at the office knowing about our date and if it goes good then great and if not ok but I just didn’t think it was anyone’s business; shockingly he agreed. We go about dinner and it was so fun just goofing off and quoting movies, not everyone quotes movies but I’m a huge quote freak so to have someone “get” what I was quoting made me feel at ease. After dinner we get in the car and then he tells me the next destination, we were already in Addison and the way he was driving I kind of had a hunch that we were going to the Improv and  I was right. We get there and the line was out the door and we had about 30 minutes to kill so I suggested we go to Pete’s Piano bar for drink, they had a cover charge so I told him I would pay and he wasn’t having it, he told me my money wasn’t good around him. We head towards the bar and I noticed a fella I use to work with from a million years ago and I decided to go say hi, we chat for a bit then we start to head out and I ran into a girl I hadn’t seen in a while and of course we go crazy hugging each other and trying to catch up, we then say our goodbyes. Its now time to go see the comedian, as we are waiting in line I noticed a friend of a friend working the front desk to the Improv we chatted for a bit and she moved our seats closer and F-O-X was like “wow you know everyone….miss popular” we are in the club and it was a lot of fun, at one point I leaned into to him to repeat the joke and he kisses me, I’m thinking wow really first kiss….at the comedy club…..ok!

After the comedy club we head back to Pete’s for bit, the night is winding down and he says he doesn’t want the night end…..we go to Taco Cabana….if you know me at all then you know I LOVE Taco Cabana breakfast tacos! After the tacos we head back to my place, he walks me to the door and goes in for the real thing; we have a little make out session for about 2 minutes then say good night. The next night he sent me a text asking how my day was and I told him and that was that. Monday morning it was really awkward when he came in, he pretty much walked by me as if he didn’t know who I was so this kind of pisses me off. He leaves then I receive a text and it’s from him saying “hey how’s your day going?” I was thinking…. what the heck?!?! I reply back with “it was going good until you made it really awkward.” He then says “well I didn’t want to give the office more ammo” blah blah blah…a few days go by and he asks what I had going on that coming weekend, I say nothing as of right now and he then says “lets doing something chill like order take out and rent a movie” I agree then the day of the date I get a text from him stating that he feels like he has a midget stomping in his head and he’s going to need to reschedule.. All I could say was when it stops let me know. Have to love Texas weather…it is now the few days that it snowed/froze. I hadn’t heard from him in a bout a week then on one of the icy days I got a text asking if we were open…really?!?! You don’t contact me for personal reasons just for work…not interested. I waited till I got to work and I replied back with I’m at work but we are closing early. He then asks me if I could do him a favor, I say “didn’t realize I was your assistant” he wrote back with “hahaha oh come on, help a homie out” while I’m trying to reply back to him he had already send me the patient’s name and along with all the info he needed. I wrote back “I’ll do it this one time but please don’t contact me if it involves work, if you want to contact me outside of work, then great!” I’m sure he was shocked that I would write that, he probably has a girl at every doctor’s office that would say “how high” if he asked them to jump, sorry dude but not me. He then writes back “yes ma’am, don’t worry about it I’ll just do it tomorrow, didn’t realize I was bothering you” I say “your not bothering me, I’m already in the middle of doing it. I just don’t want you to make this a habit…your welcome”

Needless to say….after that conversation every time he has come into the office it is just so uncomfortable. Last week as a matter of fact, he came in and was trying to make small talk with me and he walked off and under his breath called me a “jerk” he leaves and says bye to us and I say nothing…then something told me to just text him and say “yea you too “jerk” “ he then replies with “why am I the jerk” I say “you tell me, you’re the one that walked away and called me a jerk” he says “I said bye to both of yall” I say “I’m not going to dissect what Kristie and I heard but it was meant to be funny…hence the quotation marks…” he writes back “geeezzzz…so when are we going to Taco Cabana at 2 am again?” me being my lovely self I say “is this for real or a pity invite cause I don’t do pity invites” his response “oh wow” my advice if you can avoid going on a date with a co-worker or anyone associated with your company then please do. Whether good or bad it can and will lead to awkward-ness! Looking back on it now I so…………


Should’ve said no a long time ago

No comments:

Post a Comment